Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Magical Place Called School.

For the past week the boys and I have been fighting a beast of a cold.  I think we finally might be on the mend!  Take two kiddo's with Autism who don't sleep much to begin with, add in a stuffy, runny nose and a cough and what do you have?  No sleep for Momma!!!  The hubs is on his deployment and the poor guy is sick too! Go home winter, you're drunk!

Yesterday the boys got an early dismissal from school.  You know, since it was raining!  They also had a delayed opening this morning, which was understandable since we did get some ice tonight.  What did that mean for me?  Two crazy three year olds bouncing off the walls and screaming since their schedule was thrown off.  Ah, the glamorous life of an Autism family.  I'm totally that helicopter mom who is never more then three feet away from her children.  I was terrified to send them to school even though it's a school for special needs.  What if something happened?  What if they were upset and I'm the only one who could understand their nonverbal ways? What if they wonder off? What it, what if, what if.  Well, let me tell you!  The place they call school is what I refer to as this magical place that helps me keep my sanity.  I never thought I would feel this way.  After being with my boys 24/7 for the last three years, I couldn't imagine them not being with me all.the.time.  Well, let me tell you, this magical place takes care of them, teaches them, and loves them for 6.5 hours a day!  They love it there!  They've made friends with other adorable non verbal kids, they have amazing teachers who love and care for them, and I get some time to myself.  I never realized how much I needed this time, until I had it!  Holy, mother of Autism! Did I ever need it!

I attempted to potty train L over the weekend.  It went as I suspected.  NOT GOOD!  He could care less about it, but at least our floors got a good cleaning.  I put him back in diapers and called it a day. He's wasn't making the connection and I'm not pushing it.  When he gets it, he gets it.  I think G is going to be in diapers til he's 20.  It is, what it is.  L's teacher is going to send me some info on potty training non verbal kiddo's with Autism. we'll see how it goes.  G just kept watching L pee on himself with a confused look.  I think he was just happy it wasn't him!

Stay tuned for our awesome raffle we're holding!  Lots of things to auction off so we can raise even more money for our Autism walk!!

No comments:

Post a Comment