Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Land of IEPS, Stimming and the Big T word, "Transition."

Today we had what so many parents of special needs kids fear, the IEP meeting.  For those that don't know what an IEP is, it's an Individual Education Plan.  Every child in the school system with special needs is supposed to have it.  It consists of goals and services that is decided on by the IEP team, which includes the parents. So, today was our second IEP meeting.  The first one was at our house.  It was more of a, "this is what's going to happen" type meeting. Today was a more important meeting.  They learned more about the boys and made decisions on what assessments they need.  Last night was nervous to the point that I didn't want to eat, and I LOVE to eat.  I went in there confident, with the boys notebook full of there info since birth and I was ready to go.  Turns out I talk a good game, as they were all impressed.  I even caught some mistakes on their end.  Kudos to me ;).  This momma bear isn't going to let anyone inadequately determine the fate of G&L. They jokingly told me I should work there.   It blows my  mind when they told me some parents don't even come to the meetings.  How could you not want to help pave your children's future?  Isn't one of the biggest goals of being a parent to have your child have all of the greatest opportunities life has to offer?  Just because G&L have special needs, it doesn't mean they deserve any less.  So, all in all it went well, everyone seemed nice and wanted to learn about the boys.  We'll see how the rest of the process goes.

I wish my boys could stay itty bitties and be in Early Intervention for ever.  They say kids with Autism have trouble with transition.  Well, let me tell you...I can see why!  I'm scared to transition the boys into the school system.  Who will hold their hand? Wipe their tears? protect them from bullies? Transition from EI to the school system is not fun.  It's an entire new stage in life!  It's like saying your babies aren't babies anymore...even though they'll ALWAYS be my itty bitty babies!

Today has been a super stimming day full of head stands, spinning, VERY LOUD screeching, running, flapping crying, jumping, no napping kind of day.  G has developed a really goofy laugh that makes me crack up every time I hear it.  L has be a super snuggler today!  I think he has a crush on a friends 4 year old daughter.  I guess he likes older women. It's pretty cute!

So, to those about to transition to the IEP process, take a deep breath, get organized, know your rights, and have all your information there in front of you.  Remember, YOU are your child's best advocate.  No one knows your child like you do. They need you to be their voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment