Friday, November 22, 2013

Ten Things Random People Tell Me and Say About Autism.

Here are some of the gems I've heard over the past two years about Autism.  I never realized how many people have no clue.  

1) They have it because we don't discipline enough
2) Give them Pot Brownies, it will cure them
3) They don't have Autism, they're just shy.
4) Read Jenny McCarthy's Book...she "cured" her son.
5) My 6th cousins wifes, sisters husband's sister has Autism. She's crazy!
6) "Come on boy, snap out of it already."
7) "How do you do it? I would give them up for adoption." That gets a big WTF!
8) God only gave you damaged children because your a sinner and a bad Christian. (Surprise...I'm Jewish!)
9) If you feed them x,y,z it will cure them.
10) What's their special talent?  All people with Autism have a special talent.
11) Are they like Rain Man?

I realize that since we're so open about our journey with twins on the spectrum, we'll hear many opinions from people.  Ones that are supportive, ones from people that just don't know much but want to ask questions and learn (love them!!!<3) and the people that think they know everything and know how to cure Autism and can tell me what caused it. I'm OK with it. The only way to end ignorance is to educate.  Some of our greatest people in history never would have made it, if it were not for breaking down barriers and educating people. We could get angry, about the comments we often hear, and sometimes I do, but I try to redirect it, to educate. 

"I don't think of all the misery, but the beauty that still remains." - Anne Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment